Over 94,000 Yemeni displaced in last five months: UN

The UN refugee agency said that more than 94,000 people have been displaced and forced to flee their homes in several parts of Yemen since January. “The ongoing conflict in Yemen continues to displace people from their homes as they struggle to survive,” the UNHCR tweeted on Thursday .

More than 94,000 – including at least 15,000 households – were displaced between January 1 and June 6, according to the agency. Only about 5,200 people were able to return to their places of origin in that period.

“The ongoing conflict in Yemen continues to displace people from their homes as they struggle to survive,” UNHCR said in a tweet. The agency said the number of over 94,000 — including at least 15,000 households — were displaced between Jan. 1 and June 6. Only about 5,200 people were able to return to their places of origin in that period, added the UNHCR.

As the war rages on, Yemen is struggling to battle the coronavirus pandemic, lacking medical services. Authorities have officially reported 632 cases and 139 deaths from Covid-19, AP said.

The five-year fighting has killed more than 100,000 people, displaced millions and brought on what the United Nations says is the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. Many families, especially among the millions displaced, can barely afford one meal a day.

The World Health Organization says that there is likely a significant undercount of the total number of people affected by the coronavirus outbreak. Richard Brennan, the WHO’s regional emergency director, said earlier that he believes the COVID-19 deaths are in the hundreds and that the number of cases are in the thousands, based on what he has heard from numerous health sources and medical providers in Yemen.