armed men killed journalist in Aden

A Yemeni journalist has been shot dead in the southern city of Aden in an incident that is likely to inflame tensions between the Saudi-backed government and the Southern Transitional Council (STC) that seeking independence for the south.

Armed men opened fire on Nabil al-Quaety, 34,  a video journalist and photographer who contributed to Agence France-Presse, outside his home in Aden’s Dar Saad district, the officials said.

Security officials told AFP that the gunmen escaped. The head of Aden’s security administration, Abdullah al-Jahafi, posted a message on Facebook on Tuesday evening that said several suspects had been detained, but there has been no official announcement of any arrests.

Al-Quaety, was dead before reaching a nearby hospital, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.

“We are shocked by the senseless killing of a courageous journalist doing his job despite threats and intimidation,” said AFP’s Global News Director Phil Chetwynd.

Al-Quaety was married with three children, and a fourth on the way, AFP said.