Saudi-backed defense minister, army chief survive missile attack

Defense minister and army chief of staff in Saudi-backed government survived a ballistic missile attack by Houthis forces (Anssarallah) in Marib province on Wednesday, a military source in coalition-sponsored forces said.

The attack targeted a military headquarter where Defense Minister Mohammed Ali Al-Maqdashi and Chief of Staff Sghaier bin Aziz were meeting army commanders in Marib, according to Anadolu Agency.

The attack resulted in the killing of Fahd bin Aziz, son of the Yemeni army chief of staff and his nephew, in addition to three soldiers and two officers, the source said.

The news site quoted a military source as saying that the ballistic missile targeted the Sahn Al-Jin military camp, three kilometers north of the city of Marib, which is used by the Yemeni Ministry of defense and the Army as their temporary headquarters.

According to the source, the missile attack targeted a meeting of army leaders which was attended by the defense minister and the Chief of Staff.

The officials had been carrying out field visits to army sites in the Marib and Al-Jawf provinces, to the east of Sana’a.