Over 110,000 suspected cholera cases in Yemen – WHO

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Sunday that there are more than 113,000 suspected cases of cholera in war-torn Yemen.

According to WHO, There has been approximately 113,000 suspected cases of cholera in war-torn Yemen since the beginning of this Year.

A total of 56 cases were confirmed by laboratory research and 29 deaths were registered from cholera.

The WHO supported 138 centers in the fight against diarrhoea and 58 centers for thirst treatment, it said.

It pointed out that diarrhoea and thirst are among the most obvious symptoms of cholera.

The revelation raises serious concerns as the country already faces a major threat of Covid-19 outbreak in the backdrop of its health infrastructure which remains in shambles due to the years of war.

The crisis in Yemen escalated in 2015 when a Saudi-led military coalition launched a devastating air campaign against the Anssarallah forces (Houthis) in Yemen.

Since then, tens of thousands of Yemenis, including civilians, are believed to have been killed in the conflict, while another 14 million are at risk of starvation, according to the UN.