Saudi Coalition Betting on Fuel, Food Blockade to prevail in Yemen

The Saudi- led Coalition stressed the siege imposed on Yemen’s sea, air and land ports, in a new bet on the imposition of surrender by preventing the basic necessities of life for millions of Yemenis, after the failure of the military option for the past 5 years.

A navigational source in the port of Hodeidah confirmed on a televised statement, on Sunday evening, that the coalition navy continues to detain 15 ships at sea, carrying more than 410 thousand tons of gasoline and diesel.

The naval source explained in an intervention with Almasirah channel that the navy of the coalition prevents entry of oil and food ships, despite obtaining permits from the international team to unload their cargo at the port.

The coalition’s tightening of restrictions on commercial traffic in the port of Hodeidah came in conjunction with the aggression warplanes’ bombing, at dawn on Saturday at the Afar Customs Center in Al-Baidha governorate, despite informing the United Nations of the coordinates of its location and its activities.

The Saudi aerial coalition targeted 11 locomotives, injuring three drivers while others went missing. The 11 locomotives were fully burned including foodstuffs, household appliances and electrical generators, according to the Customs Authority.

“the United Nations was informed by the location of the targeted customs zone when it began operating in Al-Baidha governorate, which is the main outlet for the flow of food and medicine after the closure and blockade of the Hodeidah port,” the authority said in a press release.

“This targeting by the coalition warplane is not the first for civilian sites,” it added. “The aggression had previously bombed the Maytam Customs Center more than once and Dhamar customs and control office.”

The Authority held the countries of the coalition and the United Nations fully responsible for targeting civilian installations, calling on international organizations to protect civilian objects and citizens from the crimes of the coalition of aggression.

Politically, The head of the National Delegation, Mohammed Abdulsalam, said that the US-Saudi coalition committed a great crime by targeting the means of transportation, in the Afar customs zone of Al-Baidha governorate.

Abdulsalam stated in a tweet that this crime is one of the alleged cease-fire atrocities and scandals by expanding the circle of fire and intensifying raids, with the complicity and shameful silence of the United Nations.

 

For his part, member of the Supreme Political Council, Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, later denounced the coalition raid as a premeditated war crime.

“The Saudi-US aircraft are prolonging the crisis through several escalatory means, including a spate of dawn air raids on Afar customs center in Al-Baidha province, which left several people dead and injured and set a number of trucks loaded with food and basic commodities ablaze,” Al-Houthi wrote in a post published on his Twitter page on Saturday.

He added that acts of coalition and massacre of civilians are the most heinous crimes that enemies have perpetrated during the past few years against Yemen.

Targeting civilian facilities is a “full-fledged war crime” in international humanitarian law and international criminal law, in addition to endangering the lives of civilians and targeting the components of their lives as a war crime in accordance with international law.

The escalation bet of the coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the UAE on the blockade and the basic necessities , coincides with the efforts of the UN envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths to reach a permanent agreement to establish a cease-fire.