110,000 suspected cholera cases in Yemen: OCHA

More than 110,000 suspected cases of cholera have been recorded in Yemen since the beginning of 2020, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of the Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said on Saturday.

The cases were recorded in 290 of Yemen’s 333 districts since January, the OCHA said in a statement on Twitter, warning that the number of cases could increase in the rainy season, which began in April and would last until August.

The cholera in Yemen infected over 1 million people and killed more than 2,000 from 2017 to 2019, in what the UN aid agencies describe as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis in the modern history.

Minister of Water and Environment in Sana’a government Nabil Abdullah al-Wazir said last week  that the number of cholera cases have increased in the recent period to 107,000 cases.

Al-Wazir explained that the increasing extent of the pandemic currently is due to many factors, most notably the flow of torrents that whisk waste from one area to another, in addition to the damage caused by torrents to water networks, which results in mixing with wastewater at many points.

Yemen’s five-year civil war has damaged more than half of its health system, where the fragile health institutions have been struggling to contain increasing infections of deadly epidemics, including cholera, malaria and dengue fever.