There were conflicting reports, on Wednesday, of presence coronavirus infections in Aden, southern Yemen.
This comes amid conflicts between the conflict parties in the city to reap political or military gains.
The Hadi Supreme Committee to confront Corona announced the registration of five cases, and the Minister of Health in the Hadi government, Nasser Ba’um, confirmed it, but neither the committee nor the minister revealed how the cases were examined, especially they were not present in Aden since the transitional announcement of a self-rule days ago.
Observers have questioned the rationality of this announcement because the central laboratories in Aden are closed due to the recent flood disaster, which made the news questionable according to the son of former southern president Hani Ali Salem al-Baid.
The Hadi government was quick to put its conditions on the southern transitional council (STC) in exchange for intervention, Abdul-Malik Al-Mikhlafi, the advisor to Hadi, said that the STC should quickly withdraw his declaration of autonomy and allow the Hadi government to return to Aden to fulfill its duty to combat the Corona epidemic.
the Hadi government Linking the epidemic with the transition’s retreat from control of Aden reinforced doubts about the reality of the news, in addition to the accusations to Hadi government that it had tried to plunder the 25 million dollars that Saudi Arabia had allocated to the Hadi government to confront the Corona epidemic, but the transitional did not deny or confirm this news.
Hadi authorities reported multiple coronavirus infections for the first time on Wednesday, after the United Nations said it feared the disease could be spreading undetected in a country where millions are already facing famine.
According to Reuters, The five new COVID-19 cases were detected in Aden, a southern port which is interim headquarters of a government the Hadi government.
Previously Yemen had detected only a single case.
International health officials have long warned that Yemen’s population could be extremely vulnerable to an outbreak, which would be difficult to detect in a country where health infrastructure has been degraded by poverty and war.
An emergency committee for coronavirus maintained by the Aden-based government said in a tweet it would release more details about the five new cases soon.
Authorities told Reuters they have been unable to track down “patient zero” for Yemen’s infections, an important step in tracing people potentially exposed to infection and containing an outbreak.
On Tuesday the United Nations said there was a “very real probability” the virus was circulating within communities.
Health workers say the virus could spread rapidly in a country where 24 million people – 80% of the population – rely on aid, and 10 million are facing famine.
Yemen’s only previous laboratory-confirmed case was detected on April 10 in the southern Ash Shihr port. The 60-year-old port official has since recovered and tested negative for the virus, the committee said on Monday.
Two sources familiar with the matter have told Reuters there has been at least one confirmed case in the capital Sanaa, which is controlled by the Houthis.
But the Houthi Health Ministry denied it and said all suspected cases had tested negative for COVID-19.
On Wednesday the Aden-based government’s emergency coronavirus committee said it had concerns that Sanaa authorities were not admitting to a coronavirus outbreak there.
Responding to the newly confirmed cases, authorities in Aden announced a three-day, 24-hour curfew starting at midnight.
The announcement came from the Southern Transitional Council (STC), a separatist group that declared self-rule on Sunday in southern Yemeni governorates including Aden.