The Attorney General in Sana’a has released 2,361 prisoners to prevent the spread of coronavirus in Yemen on Monday.
Attorney General Judge Nabil Nasser al-Azzani said in a statement that they had “released 2,361 prisoners since mid-March as part of the precautionary measures against the virus.
He added that certain criteria were applied on those who were released, including serving three quarters of their sentences, and good conduct.
The Attorney General urged all investigators to redouble efforts to accomplish the tasks assigned to them in lifting grievances, and to ensure the highest levels of justice and taking into account the current conditions in the country.
Judge al-Azzani got acquainted with the performance of the Field Inspection Committee at the Criminal Investigation Department and the decisions it had taken regarding the cases of prisoners and those held under the prosecution and security.
He directed the committee to continue its work to discuss cases of prisoners under investigation and being held in pretrial custody, and to release all those who could be released.
According to the Attorney General, this action come to implementation of the directives of President of the Supreme Political Council, in the context of precautionary measures to confront Corona.
The Yemeni government, meanwhile, said it had set free over 500 prisoners from different provinces across the war-torn country, as of April 1.
Last week, authorities confirmed the country’s first COVID-19 infection — in the eastern province of Hadramout.
The coronavirus has spread to 185 countries since it first emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year. It has infected over 1.85 million people, and killed more than 114,000.